Translate

Welcome to From Texas to Japan

I am a missionary to two churches in Kanagawa, Japan! To learn more about me and how I ended up here, read my About Me page!

Check out my most recent post!

Summer Adventures

Friday, September 30, 2022

Summertime, Part 2!

     

Hello, Everyone!

Here is an update from July, August, and September, 
the conclusion of summer and beginning of the fall semester!
(Warning, lots of photos ahead!)

In July, I started learning Japanese more intensely. Once a week, I met with a teacher online, with a language exchange partner, and a conversation partner. I focused a lot on conversation, grammar, vocabulary, and reading aloud during all of these meetings, so by now I can hold a decent conversation, talk about myself and ask about others when I first meet someone, and understand most common questions used when checking out or ordering. When I wasn't meeting with someone, I was either studying Japanese or exploring more around town and neighboring areas!





 
After Shinzo Abe's assassination, we gathered messages of condolence and encouragement through email and facebook to send to Mrs. Abe, many messages including scripture and prayer.
We also included a Nozomi (hope) necklace, as she has connected with us through the Nozomi Project.  The necklace and all the messages were hand-delivered by a mutual friend. Pray that her faith is strengthened through these notes.


At the end of July and beginning of August, I got covid, but thankfully I was able to quarantine in an extra open apartment rented by the church, and I didn't have bad symptoms. I finished my quarantine just in time to go to my first festival in Japan, the Kawabiraki, or River Opening, Festival (see video and pictures below). 


Later in August, I got to travel! I took the Shinkansen (bullet train that goes up to 200mph) to Okayama to see a few friends from DBU days! I stayed with Aoi, whom I met at DBU when she came for the IEP (Intensive English Program), where I worked. It was so fun to see her again after 4 years and spend time with her! I also met her boyfriend and a few other friends, and everyone was very generous and hospitable! I reconnected with a friend who worked in DBU's College of Education, whose husband was one of the leaders on my first trip to Japan 5 years ago! It was so great to see her again and hear about how God is using her in her English teaching job at Okayama University. These days were very special, as Okayama was where I spent most of my time on my first trip, so everything was very familiar, and not much had changed. I got to visit the nearby town of Bizen, known for their pottery, and I bought a few pieces for myself and my roommates!

Shinkansen (bullet train)

Ekiben (station/train lunch box)

Korakuen garden and
Okayama castle at night

Korakuen garden at night

Hamburger patty with egg and sauce lunch

Hinase Port on the way to Bizen

Thrift store in Okayama I also visited 5 years ago

Manhole cover in Okayama
All manhole covers in Japan have a fun local design

Okayama University

Welcome to Kurashiki!

Takoyaki-making Party

Famous bridge in Kurashiki's historical district

Waiting for the train at Bizen station

With Aoi

With Aubra

I was taken to Bizen by one of Aoi's friends, Ryoma. He speaks English almost fluently, so we were able to talk about many things. I had mentioned that I am a missionary, and during lunch, he told me that he believes there is a God, but doesn't know who or what He is. He has a boss who is a Christian, and the boss and his wife have him over a lot, so he has heard the Gospel and knows some about Jesus. As I dug deeper into what he believed and talked about who God and Jesus are to me, he was able to connect what I was saying to the things he heard from his boss and the boss's wife. He was very receptive to everything I shared and felt free to ask many questions, most of which I could answer with confidence, and the rest I could admit that I didn't know and that was ok. This deep theological conversation went on for most of the rest of the time we were together, and I was able to share how God got me through my worst experiences and how I could trust and hope in Him through it all. As Ryoma has been through hard things himself, he was surprised and encouraged to know that one can have such hope and faith. Through all our discussions that day, I think he now understands the Gospel and Christianity in a much deeper way, and I pray that he has felt free to ask his boss more questions. Pray that he would continue seeking and asking, and realize that nothing is worth holding onto which keeps him from following Christ.


The shade at the foot of
my capsule from inside
 After saying goodbye to Aoi, I took the Shinkansen to Nagoya to stay overnight in a capsule hotel, before continuing up to Gifu the next morning, where I met the Hamilton family! They are another family sent by CTEN, and I met them last year at the CTEN orientation, so it was great to see them again after a year and meet their new baby, who was born only a month after they moved to Japan! I enjoyed catching up with them, but I was also glad to be another set of hands and eyes to play or ride bikes with the kids, or to help with cooking or cleaning so that the parents could rest a little. I also got to discuss their ministry and their outreach tactics, and met one of their teammates, Yukie, who then briefly trained me with some of their evangelism tools.

A sunflower garden on a balcony in downtown Nagoya
 

The time spent with her was very special, as we had never met before, but connected instantly and shared about how we got where we are, what God has done in our lives and our hopes for the future of Japan, then went to a balcony (see above) and worshiped together, not caring who heard us besides the One Who Hears and Sees. Only in the Body of Christ can you find connections like this. 
 

Going Home


The next day, I got up early and flew back home from Nagoya to start preparing for school, which started the next week. Flying domestically in Japan is so different from international or within America! From smooth check-in and a ticket that looks like a receipt, to more relaxed security at security checkpoints (no liquid restrictions except larger bottles, not taking everything off and out, I didn't even show my ID to anyone!), to super cheap flights. If you need to travel within Japan, I highly recommend it!

SCHOOL STARTS

For the month of September, we only had two families, and at the end of the first week, a family member of one family got covid, so the students of that family stayed home. That family passed it around for about two and a half weeks, and with only two students, one of whom attends a few classes at the local public school a few times a week, there weren't many days where we met as a school room. Over three weeks, there were only four half-days that I went to the schoolroom to supervise the two remaining students. The blessing in so many free days is that I got to help with odd jobs around Nozomi Project (https://nozomiproject.com/) as they launched a few new lines, getting to help with several steps of the process from picking out pottery, to cleaning the finished product and packaging it for display, to adjusting the online prices to reflect the dollar to yen conversion rate, to doing the monthly inventory. It was a unique and educational experience, and I enjoyed getting to know the ladies who work there. Even though I am here as a teacher, I loved getting to be part of that ministry for a few days!

   

All the students are well now, and we are about to add one more student who just finished Japanese elementary, so the schoolroom is back in full tilt!

Thank you to everyone who sent birthday messages! My roommates made the day very special for me, and even though I was away from family, it was a fantastic first birthday in Japan! 
Birthday dinner with roommates, Esther and Karena!
Esther's birthday is two days before mine, so we celebrated together! 

  

Praises:
  • My language learning is going well, and I am making many connections in the community, including joining a Gospel Choir! 
  • I got to spend time with friends and make new ones, and helped out with the Hamilton family! My travels were fun, smooth, refreshing, and memorable!
  • I was able to share the Gospel with Ryoma and discuss Christianity with Aoi and her boyfriend! I learned some new evangelism tools, as well, with Yukie! 
  • We're back in the schoolroom and getting into the swing of things, and we have some fun ideas planned for the schoolroom kids this year!
  • I have wonderful roommates and a team who love me, and I had a good first birthday away from family!
Prayer Requests:
  • Pray for Ryoma and everyone else I met with on my travels to be drawn to the Savior, to seek to know and follow Him. 
  • Pray for my family, as they continue with their life, and I'm not there to help with or take part in things. Pray for them to be knit closer together and closer to God, and that I would trust God to take care of them and provide their needs, as well as comfort during the times of homesickness.
  • Pray for those with whom I come into contact in the community, that they would see Jesus in me and want to know Him because of my presence.
  • Continue to pray for church leadership as they seek God's guidance for the future of church and personal ministries.
  • Pray for unity and camaraderie in the schoolroom, as we adjust to new things and new people. Pray that they would grow closer to God through their daily interactions and weekly devotionals.
  • Pray for each other. Pray for the person who reads this next, only God knows who that is, that they will know God's love and be lead to share that love and their faith with those around them.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  

In Him,

    Amanda

If you feel led to partner with me financially, just click here, or go to https://www.cten.org/asia-and-middle-east-missionaries/amanda-griffin
and click donate, or mail a check to

"Commission to Every Nation,
P.O. Box 291307,
Kerrville, TX 78029-1307"

and include a separate note stating that you are supporting Amanda Griffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment