Translate

Welcome to From Texas to Japan

I am a missionary to two churches in Kanagawa, Japan! To learn more about me and how I ended up here, read my About Me page!

Check out my most recent post!

English and Exploration

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Welcome to Ishinomaki!

Welcome to my new blog! 

As you can see, I have reposted by writing from Texan In Nagoya so that you can see how God was working in me in 2020. As I am no longer going to Nagoya, I decided I should start fresh with a new blog that can follow all my adventures in Japan, not just where I live. 

Ishinomaki is in the Miyagi prefecture, about 90 minutes North of Tokyo by bullet train. The capital of Miyagi is Sendai, about 20 minutes southeast of Ishinomaki. Ishinomaki is a coastal town, and was one of the main cities most severely damaged by the Great Tohoku Tsunami of March 11, 2011. 

My new job is at Be One Academy, teaching the junior and senior high school students of local missionaries at Be One. These missionaries were called to Ishinomaki after God burdened their hearts for the people of the area affected by the tsunami. In addition to teaching these students during the day, I will also be part of the Be One ministry team, doing local outreach and mission work, being part of and leading Bible studies and the musical portion of Sunday services. 

Right now, I am in the process of applying for my Certificate of Eligibility, which is one required document when applying for a visa. Once all documents are submitted, it will take 4-6 weeks before it will be sent, then I can apply for my visa. One thing we are praying for is that borders will be open enough to let me in. The difference between my previous visa, Instructor, and my current visa, Religious, is that there was a special allowance for teachers at international schools because, to ban them from entering was to deprive students at international schools of their right to receive education. That was a very specific allowance, which was an answer to prayer for my visa at the time. We are praying for such a specific allowance with this visa, as well. With the Olympics going forward this summer in Tokyo, they have allowed Olympic-related travelers to enter, but no tourists. Our hope is that everything will go smoothly and there will be no rise in number of cases as participants arrive in the country and that the government is encouraged by this to open the borders or make this allowance so I can move to Japan at the end of the summer. 

During the time between when my contract in Nagoya ended and I was hired by Be One, at first, I was very distraught. I despaired of ever going to Japan, and I felt a total lack of purpose. There were days I didn't know why I should get out of bed. I know God had a plan for me, and He has my best in mind, but I couldn't understand why He would take this away from me after being so close to finally going. I knew I couldn't do nothing forever, and I started looking into other schools and organizations in Japan, but not without first resting. Last year was stressful and crazy for everyone, but I also had spent a majority of the year studying and preparing and packing to be ready the moment I got my visa, so it was extremely disappointing to have all that preparation and time go to waste. At least I know what and how to pack, though!

I thought I trusted God entirely before, and I still did, but this forced me to trust Him in a different way. I had to trust that He really really really knew what He was doing, and that there were reasons that this was not the place for me after all, or maybe I wasn't best for that place, but that there was something that seemed to fit my calling even better than ICAN. He taught me to be at peace with, and even enjoy  wherever I am and whatever my situation is. I learned to keep seeking His will and jiggling the handle of each door to see which one opened. 

I learned the importance of James 4:13-15, where James reminds us that only God knows and holds the future, and in all plans we make, we must say "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that" (v. 15). When I would tell people about the job in Nagoya, I spoke with confidence that it would happen, as it was clearly provided by the Lord. My mother would always add "Lord willing" when she talked about it, (y'all, my mom is so wise. If she ever says or suggests something, listen.) but I did not want to think about the possibility of not actually being able to go. Boy, did I learn my lesson. Now, I remember that God can give opportunities and guide you but also take things away, as Job said, "The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21)

There were also good things that came about by remaining at home for this year. I was here to comfort my family when my uncle passed away, I was able to be a part of my friend's wedding, and I was able to be here for when my nephew was born; all things that I would have missed out on if I had already been in Japan. Even though my nephew is not a month old yet, I have gotten to spend so much quality time with him already, holding him, feeding him, singing to him, learning how to handle a newborn. I cherish this time, and will be sad when I do have to leave him. I have also been able to take part in a ladies Bible study my church offers to learn how to live out Titus 2. Only God knows what else I will get to be a part of while I wait on Him for each next step.

Since I had already given up my position teaching music locally last year, I could not go back to that, but I had been hired as a substitute teacher in the district before I had that job, so it was as easy to begin that again as asking them to reactivate me as a substitute. I have had so many wonderful and educational experiences by being a sub and filling in many different subjects and grade levels. One placement lasted three weeks, and I got to learn how to teach band. One placement had only a few students and we spent most of the time in a deep theological discussion, with plenty of time to share what I believe and why with a student who preferred to sit on the theological fence, also exposing the other students to the truth of the Gospel. I thank God that I have had these opportunities to be a witness for Him with a freedom that a full-time teacher would have difficulty feeling. 

Whether Japan ever opens or not, whether I can ever move to Japan or not, no matter what happens in the future, I know I can trust God in every step and that every turn brings me closer to Him. If the Lord wills, I will be a bright light in the darkness no matter where I am, for as long as I live. 

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
In Him,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment